竹宝饭 Bamboo Treasure Rice
A dish that aspires to give you scent, texture and taste. We have old tongues :) as this is not a typical kids' friendly dish. It is herbal so please do not order if you don't like herbs. We generally don't like herbs too although we are very familiar with them but this is one that is delicious for us.
Not a traditional bamboo rice that is cooked using glutinous rice, nor is it clay pot rice that is well sauced with dark soya. It is my mom's concoction of a dish that highlights its container, Bamboo. The dish is golden brown in colour and no dark sauce is being used.
Your first bite should be the rice on its own without any ingredients to experience the charred, crisp and distinctive bittersweet Dang Gui flavour. Subsequently, eat a little of each ingredient to taste how differently have they been prepared. Finally, please portion into your bowl, pour the hot broth over it, eat on its own or with chilli if spice is your thing.
1. Long grain aged Basmati and Japanese short-grain rice are cooked in seaweed, 当归 and Saffron broth.
2. 1 whole Kampung (means cage-free) chicken and 2 fresh chicken thigh marinated overnight, stewed then grilled over binchotan charcoal. Kampung chicken has fewer fats and less meat but sweeter and more texture.
3. Chinese sausages de-oiled (a technique to remove the oil from traditional sausages for a healthier version that gives you more intense flavour and texture). This is Bill and my fav, just too good.
4. Optional Jap dried oysters stewed and grilled with cold-pressed soya sauce. This oyster is my mom's favourite, she thinks it is the best dried-oysters she has tasted.
5. A portion of rice, shallots and garlic baked to a golden crisp.
6. Fresh bamboo shoots stirfry using a little oil from the sausages.
7. A broth simmered with pork, chicken & toothfish which is a very premium Patagonia MSC wild-caught fish.
8. Specially concocted belachan with crispy dried scallop chilli sauce.
Best with: 药材黑鸡汤 Black Chicken Herbal Soup & 不太辣辣麻面 NTO Chilled Mala Noodle
Portion & packaging: Sauce is packed separately in a jar. Rice is packed in a 37cm by 27cm bamboo basket inlaid with a grilling paper that is made using Finnish log pulp, without a fluorescent agent, silicone-coated.
To Serve: The broth must be brought to a boil. Warm up the dish as it is wrapped in the grilling paper on oven Fan grill mode at 200 celsius for 10-15mins. pour the broth over the chicken and serve. Microwaving is an option but we do not use a microwave in our home.