Packaging: No disposables. Endlessly reusable.
Imagine running a small food business and selling about 30 boxes of food daily. If your business is not eco-friendly, you would need 30 boxes, 30 sets of disposable cutleries and 30 plastic bags. This adds up to 90 disposables per day, 2,700 per month, and 33,000 in a year!
Multiply this by the 12,500 F&B set ups in Singapore, and it is more than 400 million.
(source: statista 2018)
Why do so many businesses use disposables?
Profitability, space constraints, ease of handling, time efficiency are just some of the many reasons. While we understand, commitment requires` sacrifice.
It is a big step to make a commitment to use no disposables, but an even bigger one to use only glass containers. We did our research on glass and plastic and our personal conviction is that glass is more environmentally friendly than plastic.
Aren't eco-friendly disposables enough?
Not for us.
This article, https://www.barepack.co/post/why-eco-friendly-disposables-won-t-save-us, provides a good explanation as to why. Singapore has limited resources for recycling and composting, and as such, many of these eco-friendly disposables are just as bad as plastic ones. However, people think that these disposables do not harm the environment, it encourages a single-use mindset.
Hence, we are extremely committed to only using reusable containers.
So, why glass and not plastic?
1. Endlessly recyclable, without loss in quality or purity.
2. Made from bioavailable materials like sand, soda ash, limestone.
3. Reduces emissions and usage of raw materials – it can be turned into a new recycled glass object at any point.
4. Does not absorb smells or flavours, and it does not excrete any toxic substances into foods or drinks.
5. No wastage of time, effort and water. Glass containers can be stored, frozen, and then heated up in the microwave, oven, toaster or over an electric stove. You cannot do that with plastic.
6. We also hope that the extra effort to use glass instead of plastic containers show other F&B businesses that it is possible be 100% eco-friendly.
Taste: Better Food, Better mood.
We sell takeaways.
Hence, our recipes are created with a priority in mind: that our food should taste delicious when they are freshly made, or eaten anytime within the edible time window, despite being frozen or chilled then thawed or reheated.
Premium Ingredients: By athletes. For athletes. Beyond athletes.
We train about 4 hours a day and clock between 28 hours during off season to 35 hours before tournaments. As athletes, we are stringent with our choice of ingredients such as sugar, protein, carbo etc because our bodies need them not just to satisfy our hunger but also for recovery, repair and replenishment. Bad ingredients can hinder recovery, cause inflammation and even introduce allergies. Therefore, we have experience in selecting good ingredients for everyone.
Our ingredients are guided with the following rules:
1. Sugar: no direct white sugar (some sauces or ingredients that we use may include white sugar). No sugar-free products since we believe they contain too many chemicals. We only use brown sugar, cane sugar, natural sugar from dates or fruits etc.
2. Protein: non-GMO only. The different meats we use are from different countries and quality sellers.
Chicken: local fresh produce
Beef: Japan, USA
Lamb: New Zealand
3. Seafood: non-GMO, caught from the wild and from sustainable sources. Some of our seafood are frozen as they are sourced from South Atlanta, the Patagonian, Mediterranean Sea, etc.
4. Fruits & Vegetables: Fresh & non-GMO
5. Carbs: no white rice. We only use low GI options such as basmati, quinoa, millet, barley, vegetables and roots etc.
6. Milk and Oil: Only freshly squeezed coconut milk and danish milk, cold pressed extra virgin olive oil for no heat or low heat cooking, sesame & sunflower seed oil for medium heat cooking and peanut oil for high heat cooking.
7. Sauces & Condiments: Does not contain MCPD(cancer causing), refined vegetable oil, nitrates, high amounts of sodium or artificial flavourings.
8. Flour: unbleached only.